Natural Relief for Herniated Discs
Discover Chiropractic and Rehabilitation is home to two Kennesaw chiropractors. Dr. Craig Gruber and Dr. Angelo Ferrari deliver safe and effective herniated disc treatments. Our entire health team wants you to experience relief from the pain and limited mobility that come from a herniated disc, so our treatment options begin to work immediately. Our chiropractors evaluate your symptoms and the health of your spine to determine if you are struggling with a herniated disc. We may discuss the reasons this has occurred and how lifestyle changes can prevent future occurrences. Our chiropractors then develop a care plan that fits your needs. Many of our patients feel an immediate reduction in their symptoms and others require several treatments before noticing improvements, but you will see and feel the difference.
Causes and Symptoms of Herniated Discs
A herniated disc is also known as a bulging or slipped disc. The disc is a gel-like sac that is between the vertebrae of your spine. If this sac changes shape or is ruptured, it may move out of the space between the vertebrae and into the space that is occupied by the nerves. Some causes for herniated discs include:
- The aging process - as you age, the discs lose some of their elasticity. As a result, a sudden movement or lifting of a heavy object may cause the disc to herniate.
- Genetics - unfortunately, some people are prone to disc degeneration due to their genetic makeup.
- Job - the job you perform may contribute to your increased risk of a herniated disc. If you perform repetitive movements or frequently lift heavy objects, the disc may become injured.
- Weight - excess weight that is carried in your mid-section may also increase your risk of a herniated disc as it places additional stress on the spine.
You may wonder how you can tell whether you have a herniated disc or if your back pain is due to something else. Common symptoms of a herniated disc include:
- Pain in your arm or leg - depending on the location of the herniated disc. you may experience unexplained pain in your extremities.
- Arm or leg numbness - a herniated disc interferes with nerve signal flow. As a result, your arm or leg may feel numb or tingly as if it has "fallen asleep."
- Weakness - the nerve signal interruption also causes muscles weakness in the areas directly connected with that disc.
Contact us for Chiropractic Care for a Herniated Disc
Our team uses a variety of treatments to heal your herniated disc. In many cases gentle chiropractic adjustments that remove pressure from the disc, help your body to reabsorb the disc into proper placement. Our chiropractors also offer advice on lifestyle changes to support a healthy posture. These may include rearranging your work station or taking more frequent work breaks. As you progress, exercises are shown to support a strong spine and healthy posture. To begin your herniated disc treatments, please call us today at 770-423-9010.